Student Labor Action Coalition
Statewide Hunger Strike to Rollback Tuition
3 day Hunger strike March 7 to March 10, 2005
Gov. Doyle's 2003 Budget = tuition up 37%
After 2005 Budget = tuition up 56%
Tuition: Rising $2,200 over 4 years!
Education is a right, not a privilege.
Tuition hikes and budget cuts close the door to working - class students, students of color, and first-generation students.
Roll back Tuition Now!
Bring it Back to 2003
No Segregation of Higher Education!
A disproportionate number of people of color are poor, and this makes tuition increase not only an economic issue but also a racist policy. The University is on a fast track to privatization. We want tax money to be spent on education, not on prisons. Instead of punishing working families in Wisconsin, taxes should be increased for corporations. We want a bi-partisan bill to roll back tuition introduced and passed by the legislature.
Rally to Rollback Tuition and End the Statewide Hunger Strike Thursday, March 10 - 10:00 am Capitol Rotunda
Over 50 students, TA's, and academic staff from UW-Madison, UW-Eau Claire, and UW-LaCrosse began a three-day hunger strike Monday at 10:00 am to demand rollback tuition 37.5% ($1,400) to the level it was two years ago rather than hike it another 14% (almost $1,000) as Gov. Doyle has proposed. At Madison, another 12 students have joined the hunger strike after it started. So far it's been very successful, getting a lot of media attention, having spoken with many legislators who see us in the Capitol, and getting the very vocal support of Al Sharpton.
- Lower Tuition - Increase Diversity - More Classes - Fair Contracts for UW Employees Petition to Governor Doyle, Wisconsin state legislators, the Board of Regents, and all UW campus administrations (Created by student groups at UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, and other schools, including the Student Labor Action Coalition, the MultiCultural Student Coalition, the Associated Students of Madison, Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, etc. ): sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/UW4Life
- Hunger Strike press release
- Protesters wrap up hunger strike - The Badger herald, March 11, 2005
- Eau Claire hunger strike article
- La Crosse hunger strike article
- Students to fast at Capitol - The Daily Cardinal, March 7, 2005 and picture from March 8, 2005
- Students kick off hunger strike -The Badger Herald, - March 8, 2005
- UW students go on hunger strike to protest tuition hikes - The Capital Times, March 8, 2005
- Rev. Sharpton delivers impassioned address - The Daily Cardinal, March 8, 2005
- Hunger Strike flyer in pdf format (Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader, to read .pdf files)
- funding for prisons vs university cartoon
- graph of annual tuition vs state support for UW System
Press Conference at Beginning of Hunger Strike
March 7, 2005, inside State Capitol:
End of fast press conference,
Thursday March 10, 2005: